Disabled athletes are encouraged to participate at the following events:
- Max’s O’Hartford 5K
- Harvard Pilgrim Middletown Half & Legends 4-Mile
- Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon, 10K & 5K
- Surftown Half & 5K
- Eversource Hartford Marathon & Half Marathon
- Blue Back Mitten Run presented by UnitedHealthcare
What to expect at all Events:
- Distinguished Division
- Awards in categories with more than 2 entrants based on chip time
- Lead cyclists (athletes are responsible for knowing the race route)
- All wheelchair athletes are required to wear certified helmets at all times. Helmets cannot be modified. Participants who do not have a certified helmet will not be permitted to start
- Wheelchair athletes must use appropriate caution and share the course when other athletes or Official Vehicles approach to pass
- In most cases the entire road surface is at the athlete’s disposal. Where cones are used, shortening the course by not following the cone line is against the rules and will expose the racers to unsafe conditions.
- Participants must follow and stay on the course.
- All participants must complete the entire course unaided, except for aid that is provided at the aid stations on the course. No personal aid from a spectator is permitted.
- Participants cannot intentionally interfere with or touch other athletes during the race
- Push Rim chairs must conform to specifications as established by IPC
- Athlete pays 1 entry fee, the guide does not pay
- Only 1 guide per runner receives a free entry (contact registration for code)
- Guides must communicate with HMF, and wear approved guide vest and bib number
- Guide must finish behind the athlete
- Method of guidance is choice of athlete: elbow lead, tether, or run free are permitted. Strapping or tying the hands of an athlete guide to one another is not permitted.
- Guides may not use a bicycle or other mechanical means of transport
- Guides cannot propel the athlete forward
For more details regarding disabled athletes at a specific event, please visit the athlete information page associated with the event.