New England's Finest
Saturday - October 11, 2014
Bushnell Park, Hartford, CT
Start Time: 8:00 AM (Wheelchair Start: 7:55 AM)
Sarah Bard, New England's Finest runner, 3rd place, 2013 ING Hartford Marathon
"As a sub-elite athlete you’re used to advocating for yourself and runners are pretty humble about it and don’t know what to do. Here the (NEF) program basically thrusts it on you. Here’s what you do and everything is taken care of. I’ve never been treated nicer."
Brian Harvey, New England's Finest runner, 5th place, 2013 ING Hartford Marathon
"Being part of New England's finest with everyone else was just amazing. There's nothing else like it around."
ARE YOU ONE OF NEW ENGLAND’S FINEST RUNNERS?
Following the success of the New England’s Finest (NEF) program in previous years, race organizers are once again helping New England Runner (NER) magazine lay out the red carpet for the 2014 extravaganza. In 2010, we extended the program to our talented neighbors in New York as well. Invitations will be sent out in the spring to selected athletes from last year's NEF program as well as runners who have caught our eye by excelling in the sport.
While we freely admit to culling most invited athletes from the NER database, anyone who has lived in the New England area or New York for at least six months is free to apply through the NU Hartford Marathon website. There will also be updates on the NU Hartford Marathon website and in the NER magazine.
As a member of this elite program, New England’s Finest runners are eligible for additional prize money above the standard awards. The New England’s Finest bonus money corresponds to the finishing place of program participants.
If you are a New England or New York resident (determined by the state in which you are registered to vote) and have excelled at our sport, the NU Hartford Marathon and New England Runner want to acknowledge your accomplishments during the NU Hartford Marathon and Half Marathon.
Entry must be completed no later than July 15, 2014 to be included in the New England magazine special section of New England Runner.
If selected as one of our invited NU Hartford Marathon or Half Marathon runners in the New England’s Finest program, your invitation will include:
- Complimentary race entry for you and your traveling companion
- Hotel accommodations for one night (Friday, October 10th - one room). Please note that athletes living within 40 miles of Hartford are not eligible for hotel accommodations.
- Mileage reimbursement (not to exceed $150)
- New England’s Finest technical apparel
- Your featured bio and photo in a special supplement in New England Runner Magazine, September 2014
- Special assistance from Elite Athlete committee including fluid placement on course, pre-race course review, escort to race start.
- Access to Invited Athlete Hospitality Suite in the host hotel
- Access to the Elite Athlete Tent at race start/finish (massage, refreshments, facilities)
To apply, athletes must submit a completed Elite Runner Questionnaire, and a biography with cover letter detailing your qualifications for participation. The application must be received by July 15, 2014. New this year - race registration will be online for all NEF athletes after acceptance into the NEF program.