The Charity 5K at the Eversource Hartford Marathon encourages runners and walkers to participate with a purpose! Register to run or walk the 3.1 mile course with the option to join a charity fundraising team through the Official Charity program or choose a charity of choice to represent on race day.
New course in 2021! Charity 5K participants start on Buckingham Street (south of the State Capitol). The course heads to Park Street, where the neighborhood welcomes runners and walkers with cheering spectators and Latino music. Head back to Bushnell Park for a grand finish under the Memorial Arch.
SOCIAL DISTANCE RACING:
HMF continues to closely monitor best safety practices for outdoor events and plan race details following state and local guidelines. Currently, face masks are not required at outdoor events in Connecticut. If race modifications are required, details will be updated on site pages and via email to all registered participants.
Male: 14:51 – set by Kemal Birhanu in 2019
Female: 16:47 – set by Amy Nedeau in 2003
Course Suitability for Disabled Athletes:
Click here for more details.
The 5K course limit is 1 hour and 20 minutes. Course limit is based on the start time of the final start wave. To finish within these time limits, runners and walkers must maintain a pace of approximately 27 minutes per mile. Official finishing times are recorded through 1 hour and 20 minutes. More…
- All 5K course markings and signage are RED.
- Mile markers at every mile.
- ChronoTrack B-Tag Timing and Results.
- Hydration (Water Only):
- Pre & Post Race / Mile 1.7
- Open cup service, handed out at arms length
- Elongated water station layout to prevent participant congestion
- Participants are encouraged to carry their own fluids
- Entertainment, toilets, medical support
- Event alert system notifications at the pre-race area & water stations along the course. More…
- Injured runners – injured runners will be transported either to the Medical Unit at the finish line or Hartford Hospital (emergency phone: 860-545-5000). All runners are asked to help by reporting injuries or downed runners to fluid station personnel or route monitors along the course.
- Drop out runners – runners unable to finish the race may stop at any fluid station along the course for assistance. Sweep vans pick up runners when possible and drop them off at the finish area. If you drop out of the race, remove your B-Tag and dispose of it before crossing the finish line.
DIVISIONS AND AWARDS
This event is timed by Granite State Race Services and uses the B-Tag timing system (timing chip is attached to the back of the race bib). Please wear the race bib on the front of the shirt.
- Top 3 Overall Male and Female
- Male Age Group – 9 & under, and 5-year age groups from 10-80+
- Female Age Group – 9 & under, and 5-year age groups from 10-80+
- Clydesdale (men 200+lbs.)
- Athena (women 150+lbs.)
- Physically Challenged
- Push-rim wheelchair (no awards in the hand-crank division)
- Visually Impaired/Blind Runners division
- Prize Money to the top finishers. More…
- Monetary awards based on gun time, all others awarded on chip time.
- Commemorative Awards to the Top 3 in Each Division
- Overall awards based on gun time
- Division awards based on net time
- No “double-dipping”
Charity 5K participants can get real-time athlete updates. Participants or spectators can follow along and receive real-time updates with course time and pace from the start line and finish line.
Tracking begins at the time participants cross the start line (net start time). All times along the course will be calculated based on net start time.
Tracking is provided by Athlinks. Race participants must sign up in advance to receive updates in the Athlinks system; they may then share the link with spectators, friends and family.
Sign up HERE
Baby Jogger/Strollers are NOT permitted in the marathon and half marathon races but will be allowed in the 5K race, please see details on the stroller policy HERE.