TRIATHLON & AQUA BIKE
1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 3.2 mile run. The Niantic Bay Triathlon is a flat, sprint distance race.
Swim a rectangular course around buoys in the Niantic Bay – a calm, salt water bay with no waves and little current. The swim is a point-to-point course, beginning and ending on sandy beaches.
Bike a 12-mile loop through the village of Niantic and rural sections of East Lyme with long straight-aways along flat, sea level roads. Popular with experienced riders and beginners, the course is well-monitored by police and volunteers.
Run 3.2 miles through the beach community of Niantic along the oceanfront with a spectacular beach finish to cap off a perfect race.
Male: 57:03 – set by John Babcock in 2011
Female: 1:04:11 – set by Amy Rice in 2002
SOCIAL DISTANCE RACING
To adhere to state and local recommendations and create a safe racing experiences for participants, volunteers and the community, all participants must comply to the following special racing arrangements:
- All participants must wear face masks/coverings at all times before and after their race, including during set up in transition
- Once participants enter the start corral, they may dispose of or remove their mask
- Bike rack density has been decreased by 50%
- Masks DO NOT need to be worn during or carried on the swim out, in transition while competing in the event, or during the bike leg
- USAT rules in place regarding bike separation
- Masks MUST be carried by all participants during the RUN LEG
- Mask must be presented to enter transition before the race and staged in participant supplies
- During the RUN LEG, masks may be lowered anytime participants have 12 feet of separation from other runners
- Replacements or additional masks will be on hand if required, just ask the nearest volunteer or race official for assistance
* Any participant that fails to comply with these guidelines or the instructions of race officials, will be asked to leave the event.
To increase social distancing throughout the race and reduce overall event density, each start wave will be reduced in size. All participants are required to be at the pre-race safety briefing at 7:20 AM (please adhere to social distancing in the ample briefing space).
All participants will be notified by email the week of the event with their respective start wave and all other need to know event updates.
USA TRIATHLON RULES
The race will be officiated by USA Triathlon. All rules will be enforced. NOTE, bar ends must be plugged (plugs are readily available at bike shops). Any bike without bar ends plugged will not be allowed to race. It is the participant’s responsibility to know the rules for an event sanctioned by USA Triathlon. More…
FIRST TIMER TIPS
Click here to view “Six Open Water Swim Tips” courtesy of TriathlonWetSuitStore.com
Athletes who participate in this division will complete the swim and the bike but will not have to do the run. The division is designed to appeal to those athletes for whom running might be painful, or to injured athletes who still want to compete.
The Niantic Bay Triathlon can be entered as a relay team of 2 or 3 members; each completing 1-2 of the event legs. Team members exchange the timing chip inside the transition area. Team participants waiting in transition must wear a mask before and after their leg.
DIVISIONS & AWARDS
This event is timed by Bay State Race Services and uses the Chronotrack Timing Chip system – 5 splits and finish time recorded – the chip is worn on a velcro strap on the ankle and will be distributed at packet pick-up. Chip must be returned at the finish line. $30 fee for unreturned chip.
- Top 3 Overall Male and Female
- Male Age Group – 16-19, and 5-year age groups from 20-80+
- Female Age Group – 16-19, and 5-year age groups from 20-80+
- Clydesdale (men 220+lbs.)
- Athena (women 165+lbs.)
- Aqua Bike (Overall Male and Female)
- Teams (Male, Female, Mixed)
- Commemorative Awards to the Top 3 in each Division
- Commemorative Awards to Top Overall Team in each Team Division (each member of the team will receive an award)
- All awards based on chip time
- No “double dipping”
- No ceremony, awards may be picked up once results have been finalized at the Awards Area
Course limit is 2:30 hours for the Niantic Bay Triathlon. Swim time limit is 35 minutes. The swim and bike legs need to be completed in 1 hour and 45 minutes. More…
- Fluid Locations (Water & Nuun Sport Lemon Lime flavor):
- Pre/Post Race
- Transition Area
- Run Course
- No fluids offered on bike course.
- Portalets at race start/finish
- Motorcycle and medical support