Don’t feel isolated or alone when sidelined by injury! This welcoming community is available to help get runners through the mental anguish and physical challenges of injury. Connect with each other and hear from the experts at the Connecticut Sports Medicine Institute to guide best practices for injury prevention and recovery strategies.
Sign up for FREE to get access to League of Injured Runners benefits, including email updates with injury prevention and recovery tips, shared stories and experiences from members of the group and exclusive offers, events and opportunities.
The Connecticut Sports Medicine Institute (CSMI) at Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford is home to specialized physicians and surgeons that understand the needs of athletes and active patients. Meet some of the team that will provide tips and recommendations*
Jeffrey R. Brown, M.D. – Director of Primary Care Sports Medicine at CSMI specializing in the medical management of sports injuries and illnesses affecting activity. Dr. Brown is a casual runner and serves as consulting or team physician for numerous sports teams including Central Connecticut State University, the University of Hartford, and the Hartford Athletic professional soccer team.
Amanda Fantry, M.D. – Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in foot and ankle surgeries.
- Allen Berkowitz, M.D. – Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery
- Scott Bissell, M.D. – Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
- Samuel Buonocore, M.D. – Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery
- David Burstein, M.D. – Shoulder & Knee Surgery
- Jay Kimmel, M.D. – Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
- Stephen Scarangella, M.D. – Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery
- Aris Yannopoulos, M. D. – Orthopedic & Spine Surgery & Sports Medicine
*NOTE: Medical Advice Disclaimer
Whether it’s volunteering as a group on the course at races, attending workshops and clinics or coming together for special events, there will be various places to connect. Look for the League Of Injured Runners tent to join the group or ask the experts.
- April 7 – Harvard Pilgrim Middletown 10 Mile & 3.5 Mile (Middletown)
- June 2 – UConn Health Half Marathon, 10K & 5K on Iron Horse (Simsbury)
- June 27 – Riverfront Scramble #1 Presented By Stanley Black & Decker (Hartford)
- July 13 – Red Dress Run for Women (West Hartford)
- August 25 – Old Wethersfield 5K and 10K (Wethersfield)
- September 7 – Women’s Triathlon (Farmington)
- October 10-12 – Eversource Hartford Marathon and Half Marathon (Hartford)
- December 8 – Blue Back Mitten Run (West Hartford)
Stay connected through the Facebook group, just search out “HMF League of Injured Runners” and request to join. The closed Facebook group allows members to share experiences and encourage each other, but only members of the Facebook group will see group communication (personal user privacy and security settings apply).
Visit our YouTube channel for a variety of videos, tips and demos.