The Western Mass 10 Mile is a fast, net-downhill course starting in the heart of UMass Amherst’s campus. It continues on local roads into downtown Amherst before entering onto the Norwottuck Rail Trail just after mile 2. The course follows the trail through the town of Hadley with iconic views of the surrounding Holyoke Range and the Connecticut River Valley. It crosses over the Northampton Lattice Truss Bridge, providing breathtaking views from heights above the mighty Connecticut River. Runners finally make their way into downtown Northampton for an exciting finish at the historic Union Station.
Learn more about ProHealth Physicians Pace Teams, a free service available to help athletes achieve their goal times. More…
DIVISIONS & AWARDS
This event is timed by Bay State Race Services and uses the B-Tag timing system (timing chip is attached to the back of the race bib). Please wear the race bib on the front of the shirt.
- Top 3 Overall Male and Female
- Male Age Group – 12-14, and 5-year age groups from 15-80+
- Female Age Group – 12-14, and 5-year age groups from 15-80+
- Clydesdale (men 200+lbs.)
- Athena (women 150+lbs.)
- Non-Binary More…
- Disabled Athletes More…
- Commemorative Awards to the Top 3 in Each Division
- Overall awards based on gun time, all others awarded on chip time
- No “double dipping”
The race start will consist of one corral with “Self Seed” pace per mile signs to assist with participant spacing.
Course limit is 2 hours and 20 minutes for the Western Mass 10. To finish within these time limits you must maintain a pace of approximately 14:00 minutes per mile. More…
- Yellow signs with blue arrows mark all turns.
- All mile points are marked on the road/trail and with signs
- Timing mats at finish line and mile 5
- Clocks at finish line and along the course
- Hydration (Water & Nuun Sport Lemon Lime flavor)
- Pre/Post race & miles 2.2 / 3.2 / 5 / 6.9 / 8.7
- Open cup service, handed out at arms length
- Participants are encouraged to carry their own fluids
- Portalets: Pre/Post race & along the course
- Pace Teams
- Medical personnel